Pages

Featuring:

If you would like to ADVERTISE on this blog, contact us.

To purchase anything mentioned in the posts or in the shop, just click on the link to make your purchase. Thank you.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Getting Familiar with the New Neighborhood


Hi,

It's been a while.  The move has taken longer than expected and taken more of my energy and attention than intended.  But, it's mostly done.  Finally.

So, today, I have a little breather and decided to get around the area and see what I can find.

Where I live now

You might remember that I first discovered Robinson's Chocolates after I moved in.  They can make some custom items for special occasions, so I went in recently to see what I can get for an event coming up in a few weeks.  I'm happy with what I found.

I just got back from the Griggstown Quail Farm and Market  which I discovered is also a CSA (Community Supported Agricultural coop).  I looked around, had a little chat about a variety of neighborhood things and picked up a bunch of kale for a recipe I printed from online earlier this morning.  I'll be back later.  They have produce, chicken and other poultry, pheasant (in season), homemade pies and much more.  They're very near where I am now.

Next stop, after a small chore, is Norseville.  How I discovered Norseville is a little complicated so I'll try to simplify.  Physically, I'm in Griggstown which is a community, I guess you could say, of Franklin Township, also called Somerset.  I was surfing online, trying to find out what else is in the Griggstown area and found Norseville, another little community within Franklin Township.  I'm just going to drive to the neighborhood to see where it is.  There appears to be a flea market coming up so....

The Belle Mead Coop is next on the list.  I need some half barrels to try to start a container garden even though it's a little late to start.  I haven't planted vegetables in years but I want to give it a try.  I'm aiming for a couple of varieties of potatoes, tomatoes, lettuces, and herbs.  I want to use containers because I have no idea how long I'll be here and the ground on the lot is hard and rocky so this should work best for me.  I'll keep you posted.

I visited the Coop earlier in the week to see if they have scythes because there's grass etc. to clear where I want to put the garden.  They don't but I'll figure out something.  So going there today to see about half barrels, look around some more and probably pick up a few other things.

Actually, I think I should first go farther up 206 to Cammps Hardware and Lawn Products, in case I get plants at the Coop; I don't want them sitting in a hot car too long.  I'll see if they have a scythe, I don't want a hand cutter; I want one with a long handle.  Cammps showed up in a search for something and it's a local independent so I want to see what they have to offer.  Then I'll come back down to the Coop.  If I don't end this and get on the road, I'll be too late; it's nearly 5 pm.

And, this is just the beginning....

No comments:

Post a Comment