Pages

Featuring:

If you would like to ADVERTISE on this blog, contact us.

To purchase anything mentioned in the posts or in the shop, just click on the link to make your purchase. Thank you.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Today's food experiment



My latest food experiment - came out really good. I like Tomato Rice Soup; I wanted to make something similar but healthier without all the additives. Started with frozen leftover pasta water, added fresh mirepoix and bouquet garni, filtered water, a rice mix from the supermarket (just rice, no additives), a couple of T. of tomato paste and a can of diced tomatoes with garlic and onions. Cooked it up and stirred in some grated parmesan cheese in the bowl. Served with refrigerator tea and sesame crackers. Filling and tasty.  This turned out more like a tomato rice stew; it's very thick.






When I drain water from making pasta or steaming vegetables, I freeze it and use it later as the base of a soup or something.

There was leftover tomato paste from this dish so I spooned it into an ice cube tray and put it in the freezer.  Once it's frozen, I'll pop the cubes into a covered freezer container for later use.

I'm single so many things like cartons of broth, bread, rolls, are sold in packages too big for me.  If I don't use the leftovers right away, they spoil and go to waste, so I freeze them in amounts that work for me.  Broth is easily frozen in ice cube trays and then put into covered freezers containers so they don't lose moisture in the freezer.

I keep a china pencil (we called it a wax pencil when I was growing up) in the kitchen to mark freezer containers. It wipes off fairly easily when you need to change the labeling.

Mirepoix (most often minced carrots, onions and celery) can be made from wilted leftovers that will soon go bad. Bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme and flat-leafed parsley) is quickly thrown together.  Both give heightened flavor to any dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment